More Than A Meal
On the First Sunday of every month, Church of the Holy Communion volunteers at Grace-St. Luke's More Than A Meal.
WHAT IS "MORE THAN A MEAL"?
Every Sunday, More Than a Meal invites the homeless and hungry to dine in Grace-St. Luke's parish hall side-by-side with parishioners and other members of the community.
More Than a Meal provides a hot meal and, in addition, provides the dignity of table service, fellowship, and a break from the invisibilty that many of our guests live.
The goals of this ministry include:
- getting to know our less fortunate neighbors, so that we may see the Christ in them, and they the Christ in us;
- acting as instruments of God's love to our community;
- assisting those suffering from economic hardship;
- developing the bonds of friendship and trust that will make it possible for us to help our friends free themselves from the bonds of mental illness and addiction; and
- learning the lessons of faith that our guests have learned from their life experience.
We share this ministry of Grace-St. Luke's with All Saints' Episcopal Church, St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Church of the Holy Apostles, and Idlewild Presbyterian Church.
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
There are three roles you can choose from to help with this ministry.
1. Be a "Cook" - Kitchen experience isn’t necessary to be on the cooking crew, and you never know what skill you might learn! Cooks are asked to arrive at 1:00 p.m. and help prepare the meal until 3:00 p.m.
2. Be a "Server" - Our servers help with serving the meal to our guests and with cleaning up after the meal is over. Servers are asked to arrive at 3:30 p.m. and are typically finished with clean-up by 5:00 p.m.
3. Provide a Dessert - Desserts can be purchased or home made. We ask that you deliver your dessert to CHC's Cheney Parish Hall kitchen any time before the 10:30 service on the First Sunday of the month. Please use disposable containers, and mark your dessert “MTAM” with the month. Each month, we have a different theme for our desserts.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
If you have any questions or would like to sign-up to serve, please contact Barb Boucher(bboucher [at] bdo [dot] com) at 832-2835 or 680-7617.